…..Wow, where did THAT come from! Sitting on the ground next to Eleganza giving her a morning wakeup……… Usually the first in, I’ve always felt it important to be aware and ready for a productive day. Getting a little harder but tradition dies hard………
Here are the rebuilt drive shafts ready to be sent out with both rebuilt front knucklesshould ship out today……
I was surprised on how many of you had questions about the Mutcedes driving video. Lemme answer a few here with you guys:
1. Of course I’m gonna drive Mutcedes further than around the block! Scarlett didn’t want to burn up more time……. I’ve already had last weekend on the road.
2. The switches on the dash……… I remember “back in the day” my uncle build junk yard drag cars. Of course the electrical systems of the car was wasted so he would mount an aluminum plate under the middle of the dash and put in all the switches and things he wanted on that plate. And he always loved those long paddle illuminated toggle switches lined up. I always looked at his race car dashes link a dash from “Johnny Quest”.and of course he had a B&M “T” shifter with a big fat rubber bellows……This Dash is a tribute to my Uncle Jack….if he wasn’t careful he would break bolts by accident!Do all of those gauges work? Heck no and neither does the dash air vents where the gauges that DO work are! Let’s call all that “Dash Art”. In 1976, a SL450 was something to watch driving past. Well, I guess we’ve retained that appearance…………. Also the genuine black numerator skin cockpit surround helps solidify it as a looker still…… I guess we SHOULD put a rear body on it…….. I WOULD like to do something about the Pinto design fuel tank………. Yeah, whatever’s…..you must remember it’s not a funky looking car……its a motor/transmission run in stand
3. Will it do a wheel stand? No…that thing is heavy as Crap…..theres an I beam frame welded to the unibody car to give something to weld the front frame clip front the motorhome to the back of the car! Now the NEXT motor to go in will have a 4:10 limited slip differential strapped to it. We may have some fun there! Stay tuned.
4. Why did I pick a classic red 1976 Mercedes SL450 convertable with both tops?
Ok, that’s a good one……. I could say all sorts of things that might make you think great thought was put into the selection…….Naaaaaa, I had it out back, it was rusted too bad to ever be a viable restoration……..and I though it might be fun. Hey Bubba, watces, hold my beer…..………..
5. What’s under the front hood? Look at the first pic I did with the hood up. there’s a 2 battery tray, a small diameter GM sensatized booster with a dual disc P-30 Chevy master cylinder…..a Viair compressor for the rear suspension and a Ford F-50 radiator with an electric fan
But it really ended up an invaluable tool when working exclusively on a GMC Motorhome like we do.
And yeah, this is another check off my bucket list…..thanks guys.
So what was my message today? There wasn’t one……. You can’t be all serious all the time… I mean what are we doing here anyway? Making these vintage machines back into that dream machine that it was and drive the imagine just like it did back then. Hey, they were about the most expensive set of production wheels from the big 3 there was! And they can still be made to be a viable option for economically getting on the road and having fun!
Hey and that fun is what I was maybe talking about! There’s a new video posting sometime today……. It can be another GMC Motorhome fix…kinda like coming here….it you’ve drunk the punch! Enjoy being a GMC junkie………
See ya later