Mac McNeil at www.custominstrumentpanels.com offers several really nice dash packages for the GMC (other coaches too but we don’t really care about those– sorry). Over the years, his dash packages have been updated and refined to the point that if you are interested in updating the original GMC dash gauge compliment and style, his stuff is by far your best choice. There are others out there & I’m not meaning to down them but Mac has been going these things for a long time and really has it down. We will be installing his “Mac daddy” (no pun intended) top of the line dash kit into Susan from Everet’s 78 Royale. No, its not a :wham bam” install but remember, “If its worth doing, its probably not that easy”. This adage holds true here. The dash is beautiful , it affords you space for all kinds of accessories, AV equipment and stuff like that but there is a price. This is not an “easy” install. You must be committed to follow through with the kit and once you start— there is no turning back– you’ll see what I mean.
First a few tips:
- DO NOT rig the wiring, do a proper connection on every wire.
- DO NOT use “scotch-locs” for connections– they stink and will cause trouble down the road.
- Stay on task and follow Macs detailed instruction sheet step by step– I do.
- Manually trace each circuit as you connect it to be sure there were no wiring mistakes
- Take your time and do not rig something for today, human nature tells us you my not go back and wire the circuit correctly.
- Create “service loop” wiring slack to make it easy to service the circuits in the future.
- Do everything (the whole dash) when you install this kit or you will never finish it. Again human nature tells us to do a job completely or do not attempt it at all. Around here, “you rig it– you die!”.
- Let Mac vinyl cover the dash base, they do a great job– its costs but it turns out best that way.
- Rewire ALL after market circuits to be sure they are done properly. Hook up to nasty wiring and thats the best your circuit will be!
OK, enough of all of that, we are all grown men here and if you choose to do something other than follow these tips, don’t go “bitchen” to me or Mac– maybe that BBQ grill will go together no matter how bad you screw it up but this dash will not!