While sourcing the new steering column for Ruby, it was time to move what I’ve learned on Ruby and bring Texas Tux up to speed. The concept doing 3 coaches in line is I can take those lofty ideas and turn it into a hard part on Ruby then armed with that knowledge go after Texas Tux. Ruby is a 1973 what I call a prototype being #41, Texas Tux is a 1976, 23′ Brichhaven about as far apart as 2 vehicle from the same assembly could be. Found some significant differences and exactly the same things as well. With everything fresh it probably is standing out more at least to me! .
But now in the dash assembly most things have been standardized from all the previous wiring and refinishing efforts. In that Texas Tux still has a viable steering column I’ll start up there where I left off over on Ruby So here we go…………………. I saw yesterday Tom H. had posted a few pics on this project on Facebook, if you are coming here to see more, Tom’s dash AC/heat, dash,electrical system rewire is at the point of trimming out the MacDaddy dash. Already prewired with the surfaces refinished…”pleather” vinyl on the soft parts and color keyed vinyl dye on the hard parts it’s time to wake up Texas Tux from a long sleep playing with it’s innerds First step in the dash installation is connecting and installing the lower left and AC control panels at the bottom of the dash. Already being prewires to color keyed molex connectors it’s a wiper cable connection, physical fitting where the opening of this hand made fiberglass panel opening needs to fit the panel. Mac ships these already fitted and screwed into place but adding doo-dada you may find a little trimming is called for I used the original headlight control switch….it worked great , was not original..heck I may have changed it when I did this dash the first time. This is another big difference in Texas Tux and Ruby. I had restored the dash in Texas tux 18 years ago, it was already “my” dash. Ruby was in achingly original prototype condition with all the original screw ups from figuring out how to build one still there.
Rewiring the engine electrical system to what I would say my new restoration SOP, we are standardized to a point thw wiring is not all rigged up…it’s all to the same design and standard….this is a huge benefit going forward from here.
So yesterday moring I was at the assembly point on the pic above. Next is building up the large, vertical lower right panel. In this lower panel Tom had already installed a front wheel bearing digital temp system…it goes on this panel along with one of the 4 outlet vents for the new dash AC/heat system project. BTW, you can see 2 of the 4 Euro-style adjustable vents we use. The ouput ducting comes from the blower box. I purposle used a narrower diameter duct to help keep the cfm of the air coming out high..I mean we have a pile of space to heat or cool, I want to spray the conditioned air out! As you saw from the pic above, already being prewired, not only is the lower right panel is fitting but the main dash cluster is completely connected to the modified electrical system with 3 connectors. Already connected, I COULD fire up the coach and watch the dash while it’s sitting in my lap! True “fly-by-wire” instrumentation……
So with 4 screws it’s installed and as you can see belw, I already have the top right panel built with it’s switching with backlit legends and the new double DIN radio in it’s new serviceable trim mount So today, I’ll wire in the radio harness, connect the switching molex, install this panel….turn on the power and fire this mother up! This is the most fun part of doing a project like this…it’s kinda like flipping the switch on Data and hearing “I am operating within excepted perameters….”
Jared just pulled in…..peefect, lemme get the troops on program and we’ll have page 2…got more neat stuff to show ya………..
The troops are on task, The “gator coach” we call it is out for a “drive-it-like-ya-stole-it” test drive. The coach ran like a flat rock……… No wonder, look at the intake crack after cleaning the magnaflux test brought up