So sometimes thinks need to happen.. you do them…… we have 2 motor install that needs doing….. with only 1 lift… something needs to go first. Pickle, on the lift, needs his short block build done to get it done first. The block and parts were here now it needed assembly. Knowing the importance to just “get-r-done, our builder “Drew Koba” offered to jump in and help out…. what a guy….
The crank went in then the pistons. We’re using the same pistons and rods, the crank was taken 20/20 then line bored.
Try to cut corners where we could, the Jasper motor has 20K miles on it so we were hoping to reuse a few parts trying to keep the cost down…. the standard single row timing chain was stretched when we got it on Can’t use that so we ended the front of the motor assembly until tomorrow when a new Cloyes double true roller gear/chain set can be had. Still, there was a pile of assembly we could do… I mean having Drew here to help lets get as much done as we can….
Phillip with Drews direction both got all the original Sealed Power… descent pistons and the original rings in. Mike had reset a crosshatch on the bores.. with only 20K miles there was no ridge to ream. There was a little more tolerance in the thrust surface on the crank… thank you Jasper so after getting the mains and rods in we set the thrust to the rear so it would wear in there With all the metal that came off the crank bearings I ordered in a new oil pump. The one in the background is a high volume pump witnessed by the 2 bolt on pattern for the oil pickup tube. The pump in the foreground is a standard pump… no boltpattern and it has a shallow oil panr rear wheel drive standard oil pickup. Our Toro oil pumps are deep sump so with this pickup the motor could have run out of oil in the bottom end if the oil level went low…. We could not abide with that so this morning we got in a Milodon low sump performance pickup tube… it’s the only one made for the Toro oil pan. Well have to button up the bottom end today… Here is this unique part ever motor must have along with a high volume oil pump… a standard production build would never pick this up! Oh yeah and the rebuild gasket kit only comes with a rear “rope seal” .. we use the Ford big block rubber seal and the oil pan gasket always gives up one wrong rail side… Drew brought nice rubber ones…… This must have been Phillip’s “night out” with his gal… she came for moral support Hey, she’s a diesel motor mechanic…. you’re such a charmer Phillip! Man, layin’ the crank and letting her be a part….. boy that’s love!
Drew got the heads on and torqued. We didn’t do anything to the heads… I mean there was no valve noise and after all, it did run for 20K miles… . The heads did have a few issues. never seen all the exhaust bolt holes all having heli-coils How odd, and the valve spring caps looks like they were spinners that were welded by hand in place… again odd but hey… it ran!
Thatground metal plate was rigged up to hold the PS pump and had rubbed a round into the harmonic balancer and a big divit in the bracket! WTH! That’s a good old harmonic balancer to the right to compare. Look at the shape of the one on the left…. I ordered a new harmonic balance… theyre not much and the original one was really bad!
So last night we got the bare, clean, line bored block to where we can finish it up today and in the coach tomorrow…. we hope Running that puppy off the lift, Friday the “Sundae” motor can go in….. wish up luck.
So you other guys with stuff in here relax, we have 14 guys here and all aren’t watching us mess with these motors. I feel what we’re doing here is important and I felt at least some of you would be interested. I’mm catch up on this project and give you some other stuff tomorrow.
Thanks for dropping by, we’re trying to organize the pile of videos we’ve posted on “Motorhome Rehab Ranch” trying to group like subjects. Gonna do another one today based on suggestions from the pole we took.. Look around for that……. Thanks again and we’ll see ya tomorrow…
Until then…. Rat Fink move over…. .